Make a Donation
Help us realize the dream of generations. Make a donation today!
Incorporated in October 2015, the not-for-profit organization obtained its charitable status from the Canada Revenue Agency in April 2017.
To find out more about the Campaign, scroll down or visit our Capital Campaign section.
Make your donation or purchase a theatre seat to support the Community Campaign. It’s easy, secure and convenient!
Charitable organization no 79222 6698 RR0001
A unifying cultural project
The 2008 Summit of La Francophonie of Greater Sudbury identified the creation of a unifying cultural hub as a priority. It is in this context that the ROCS (Regroupement des organismes culturels de Sudbury), a coalition of seven local arts organizations, undertook the development of the Place des Arts project.
Why does Greater Sudbury need a Place des Arts?
- The present lack of professional cultural infrastructure in the region, as recognized by the Municipal Cultural Plan of 2014
- The need to rationalize productions costs for cultural organizations
- Important audience and participation growth in the last 10 years
- The Municipal Downtown Redevelopment Strategy adopted in 2012
- The professionalization of the arts & culture sector and the growing number of local artists
- The role of Greater Sudbury as the “Cultural Capital” of North-Eastern Ontario, which requires local capacity to welcome tourists and visitors
- Contribution to the quality of life and the region’s capacity to attract and retain professionals of the creative economy
- Generated job creation and economic impacts, in line with priorities of all levels of government
The Founders and Future Residents of the Centre
- 7 not-for-profit and charitable organizations
- Global annual budget of over $5,5 M
- 60 full time staff and numerous part-times
- 200 artists per year produced, published or exhibited
- 20,000 participants and audience members per year, in growth
- 5,000 children reached through school programming
- 300 spaces in daycares and nurseries
- Hundreds of volunteers who contribute time and expertise
“Projects like Place des Arts improve the overall attractiveness of the city, enhancing tourism and further positioning Greater Sudbury as the cultural and artistic hub of Northern Ontario. We believe the project will help create a more ‘lived-in’ downtown and will encourage additional business and investment in the downtown core.”
Debbi Nicholson, President & CEO, Sudbury Chamber of Commerce
An Overview of the Centre
- Located at Elgin & Larch
- Building entirely accessible
- 850 daily activities offered throughout the year
- Centre’s traffic estimated at 50,000 per year
Four presentation facilities
- Theatre with 299 fixed-seating
- Multifunctional Studio
- Contemporary Art Gallery
Other production facilities
- Youth Studio
- Box office
- Meeting rooms
- Administrative areas
- Storage areas
Services available in both official languages
“The project is realistic and the right size and scope for the artistic and cultural community it is attempting to service. There are much-needed workstations for artists, rehearsal space for individuals and larger groups, administrative office space and a performance venue suitable for many community offerings. Most importantly, the Centre would have the right mix of permanent tenants and available rental performance space to make this a viable, fiscally sound enterprise.”
Mark Palumbo, STC Honours Recipient 2015
Strategic Business Model
According to the Feasibility Study of 2015, with a group of fifteen regular users (of which eight are residents), the centre will be sustainable and proficient. The business model projects an excellent ratio of self-earned revenues:
- 70% in revenues generated by rentals & services;
- 30% of public funding, mostly from Arts Councils.
Making possible and accessible quality cultural and artistic experiences which have a lasting impact on the lives of citizens and contribute to the development and the well-being of the Francophone and Greater Sudbury communities.
Place des Arts' Vision
Place des Arts' Values
Being courageous; challenge conventions and assumptions; suggest creative solutions, innovate.
Work together; join forces to achieve common goals.
Practice inclusiveness and foster dialogue; accept and respect differences; promote closer alignments.
Always striving to get better results and to use resources in an optimal way
Respect for the environnement
Commit resolutely to sustainable development both in the construction of the PdA and in its operation.
Help us realize the dream of generations. Make a donation today.