Why do we need a « Place des Arts » ?
Because Greater Sudbury has a thriving local arts community and unique expertise in cultural development.
Because this professional community has been telling us for many years that there is a need for an arts centre geared to its quest for artistic excellence and growing audiences and participation.
Because today’s consumers and participants are looking for more engaging outings, where their creativity and sense of belonging are enhanced by memorable experiences shared with others.
Because of its strategic contribution to the redevelopment of the downtown, drawing some 50,000 people downtown yearly, mostly at night and on weekends when it needs it the most.
- The present lack of professional cultural infrastructure in the region, as recognized by the Municipal Cultural Plan of 2014
- The need to rationalize productions costs for cultural organizations
- Important audience and participation growth in the last 10 years
- The Municipal Downtown Redevelopment Strategy adopted in 2012
- The professionalization of the arts & culture sector and the growing number of local artists
- The role of Greater Sudbury as the “Cultural Capital” of North-Eastern Ontario, which requires local capacity to welcome tourists and visitors
- Contribution to the quality of life and the region’s capacity to attract and retain professionals of the creative economy
- Generated job creation and economic impacts, in line with priorities of all levels of government
Making possible and accessible quality cultural and artistic experiences, which have a lasting impact on the lives of citizens and contribute to the development and the well being of the Francophone and Greater Sudbury communities.
Place des Arts – Mission
Those values will structure the very identity of the Place des Arts and will find their coherence in management practices and in actions that embody them with clients and partners.
Being courageous; challenge conventions and assumptions; suggest creative solutions, innovate.
Work together; join forces to achieve common goals.
Practice inclusiveness and foster dialogue; accept and respect differences; promote closer alignments.
Manage to always get better results and to use resources in an optimal way; behave professionally at all times and in all circumstances.
Respect for the environment
Commit resolutely to sustainable development both in the construction of the PdA and in its operation.